Sunday 28 October 2012

Keeping the sauna tradition alive!

My father is Finnish descendant. His parents moved from Finland to Sweden after the second world war and after a few years in Sweden my father was born. I wouldn't say that he's traditionally Finnish but one thing that he never, ever would put an end to is the sauna tradition. I was brought up with that, one week old when my grandmother carried me in the sauna for my first bath and I loved it ever since. So did most of my cousins and we had so many nice and fun moments in there... It's something about the cleansing, relaxation and warmth that makes it very special and addictive. That's why I'm so happy and excited that my dad decided to build a floating sauna on his little lake outside his house. We cheer him on and hoping for a real nice sauna bath around Christmas...

Earlier in September, building the raft and launching it...

 Today - putting up the walls...

 Starting to look good!

The first ice on the lake and I wouldn't want to take a bath without a sauna...


4 comments:

  1. Glömde visst kommentera häromdagen. Som halvfinne blev jag förstås väldigt varm i hjärtat att läsa detta inlägg =)
    Kram Lena B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ja men jag förstod väl att det var något mer än "bara" två jämnåriga ungar som förenar oss ;)! Kram!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, jag är ju faktiskt född i Värmland också. Så det finns mycket gemensamt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s nice to hear the tradition is up and running - your household is the assurance of that. ;] Actually, even non-Finnish homes put up spaces for sauna rooms nowadays. But I think an authentic Finnish home sauna is what would really count in the next generation, if we talk about its history.

    ReplyDelete