Tuesday 11 September 2012

VAB

From one institution in Sweden, maternity leave, to the next; VAB (vård av barn). That means you're home nursing your sick child. In Sweden we get almost 80% of our ordinary salary when we do "VAB:ing". Before I got children I remember those people that often was home for VAB and how all the other colleagues (well, maybe not all but many) rolled their eyes and whispered "is she home AGAIN?!?!". To all of you people that think VAB is some kind of vacation: I don't mind changing with you at all. I'd love to go to work. Because honestly it's like having your worst nightmare come true when you have to see your child sick.

But one thing is clear, it is hard to draw the line when to keep your child home or not. Children are mysterious creatures and sometimes they appear much more sick than they are but sometimes they seem much better than they really are. This time it wasn't so bad with Lovisa's fever after all. She woke us up in the middle of the night with a terribly high fever, we gave her water and Tylenol and after a while she fell back to sleep. This morning she was tired and slept in and I didn't dare to send her to daycare. But she's been fine today, no fever, very energetic and really bored to be at home with me.


I hope I can work tomorrow, VAB is not the vacation you want, believe me.


No comments:

Post a Comment