Saturday 12 March 2011

I did it!

After years of struggling and months of hard work with a lot of tears and doubts I took my PhD. I was really nervous before but thought to myself that "it goes the way it goes, I'll do my best and I'm going to stay calm and answer honest". So when everything started I actually felt pretty cool...

Just before 13 AM, focusing on staying calm...

My opponent made an introduction and then I held my presentation, don't remember that much from it but apparently it took 25 minutes according to my sister... Then the interrogation started... I felt like I was in a big bubble and just focused on being there and now. A bloody annoying thing was that my way to expensive "stay-up" pantyhose started to slide down my leg each time I had to stand up or sit down! And my opponent made me get up once in a while to explain and show different things from my presentation. When finally my opponent was satisfied it was  the examination boards turn. I remember one of the questions made my brain freeze and I had no idea how to answer! I just lost it. Any other time I think I would have been able to answer but right there I didn't stand a chance! Phuu, about 2 hours of defending my 4 years of struggle!

My opponent was well prepared. Among a lot of questions he made me do some echocardiographic measurements to check out my skills...

While the examination board made their decision whether to approve or fail me we got a much needed break. I was really touched and moved to see so many of my colleagues and family/relatives there.

Mingle while waiting for the examination boards decision

The examination board declared I was approved and I just felt empty at that point. Finally, finally over! It's a bit surreal. I lived with this thesis for years and the last months been thinking and working with it on a daily basis.  

Home at mums with all the lovely flowers and gifts

One of the beautiful gifts, a colleague from Stockholm that thought I needed this while I wait for Lovisa - so nice!

One of the many beautiful bouquets I got!

I really wished I could have shared this day with my H and Lovisa, they were with me in my heart all day. It's a lot thanks to H I've been able to finish my thesis and I will be forever grateful for that. He's taken care of Lovisa numerous of evenings and weekends and endured my sometimes  unpredictable mood swings and always encouraged me. 
I'm also very thankful for all the encouraging comments and support that I got from family, relatives and friends during the years! Thank you so much!

4 comments:

  1. GRATTIS! TUSEN GRATTIS!!!!!!!
    Fy fan vad kul! Vad glad jag blir för din skull!
    Kramar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tack cecilia! Ja det känns riktigt bra. Kramar tillbaka!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats babe! Vilket jobb du uppenbarligen lagt ner, njut nu riktigt ordentligt av att äntligen vara färdig :-) Hälsa alla i kga!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tack Veronica! Om du har vägarna förbi "stan" så hör av dig! Jag har tyvärr ingen bil så jag är lite låst. Hoppas vi hinner ses. Kram!

    ReplyDelete