Tuesday 3 April 2012

Let's kill a few myths!

Let's kill a few myths of becoming and being a parent. Is it anything that people have more opinions about than being pregnant and having children? I don't think so. Here are a few things that I've heard that was totally inaccurate about becoming and being a parent. But let's be honest, we're all different so parenthood has to be different too, just because this isn't true regarding me it might be true for you!

  1. It's no more work to have two children instead of one. Who ever said that did it obviously to ease the anxiety of concerned parents who are expecting their second child. Of course it's more work with two children, especially if they're close together. OK, you don't worry as much about the newborn as you did when you got your firstborn but that's more because you don't have the time or the energy for it... And maybe somewhere you're a little bit more experienced the second time around but it's amazing how fast you forget from one child to the next! And keep in mind that your second child is probably nothing like your first.
  2. It's love at first sight when you hold your new, sticky child in your arms. For me holding Lovisa the first time the feeling was more relief that the whole birth and pregnancy ordeal finally was over. Than was the parenthood chock and scary knowing that you alone was responsible for this tiny life. I was overwhelmed by emotions the first months of being a parent. And it wasn't love that I would say was the dominant feeling. But don't worry, love will come and grow so strong that it's freaky! 
  3. Enjoy every moment because it all goes to fast. I think this is the most frequent comment I got after having the children and yes time goes very fast. But it's impossible to enjoy every moment when your so tired that you just want to cry and your boobs are two big wounds that hurts like hell every time you feed your baby. Therefore this comment gave me bad conscience, am I a bad mother unable to enjoy every moment? No, I think I'm a very normal mother and I'm actually grateful that time passes fast, because how wonderful and amazing the first years with your children are, they're also challenging and exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment