Sunday 13 October 2013

Hässelbyloppet - 46:15!

One year ago I ran Hässelbyloppet in 50:24 and felt a little bit disappointed that I didn't manage to run sub 50. Today I ran it again in 46:15! New personal best and a real surprise for me since a had a couple of stressful weeks behind me with to little sleep, a cold that doesn't want to go away completely and a sore ankle... But somehow today just worked out anyway, it was so beautiful, clearblue sky, fresh air and a lot of motivated runners!

I prepared by eating oatmeal and painting my nails pink (now that I've started with this ritual before a race I can't stop) around 11 am, then I walked to the start around 11:45 am, the first seeded runners went off at 12 am and I had to wait until 12:30 pm to start running. I didn't mind waiting, the sun was warm and the mood high. The start went well but it is annoying that the first kilometer, that was my slowest, is so crowded. After 2-3 kilometers it loosened up a bit and I could run in my own pace. I felt pretty soon that I was dressed to warm in my long-sleeved running top with long-legged pants but it turned out OK in the end... Last year I stopped to drink some water around 7 kilometer and I remember regretting this because it steals quite a bit of time and got me out off pace so today I skipped the water and just kept running - a good move, I certainly don't need fluid on a 10 K race...

Getting closer to the goal I started to look around for H and the girls, they were suppose to stand close to the goal. When I entered the arena, Hässelby IP, I was so tired, my legs numb, but I had a great feeling knowing that I was close to beat my personal best. And there they stood, my beautiful little family and I heard Lovisa cheer me on and I waved and screamed "Hi!" and made it all the way into goal. Close to tears with a happy but somewhat pained expression I got my medal, a banana, energy drink, water and a cinnamon-bun - all tasted heavenly!

Hässelby IP, the crowd cheering on the runners during their last meters...

H did his best to catch me in a photo and there I am, in the blue top, on heavy legs reaching for the goal!

Giving my fans some cinnamon-buns after the race...


This race was definitely harder than the halfmarathon, a shorter race means that you have to run faster and being on the edge of your capability and that makes it more challenging. But I made it and I'm so proud over another personal best, I can hardly believe it...

1 comment:

  1. Grattis! Och intressant att du tyckte det var tuffare att springa det, vad jag har hört, väldigt platta Hässelbyloppet, än den rättså backiga - och långa - halvmaran. Men du sprang ju väldigt snabbt! Kul för dina barn också tänker jag att se sin mamma tävla... och med en sån framgång!

    ReplyDelete