Thursday 13 June 2013

Thankful to be alive.

It's weird when something unexpected happens that makes you stop, reflect and think. I cycled home from work yesterday, as usual a bit stressed, thinking about all the musts: picking up the kids, fixing supper, cleaning up a messy house, hoping H for once is going to make it home til suppertime etc etc. I was cycling down a hill on a main street when a car approached from a side road that ends up on "my" main street. I slowed down and the car slowed down and stopped so I thought it was safe to continue cycling. When I was right in front of the car (the car was waiting to make a right turn out on the main street) he pressed the gas and crashed right into my left side. I fell right out on the main street. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion and I remember thinking "This can't be happening - I'm really being hit by a car"... I was laying on the street, with my bike half over me and the driver got out of his car and asked how I was. My reaction was anger. I was furious! I yelled something like "Are you out of your mind!? You have to look before driving! This is a cycle path and a walkway! I picked up my cycle and a bag that I had in my hand while cycling and I tried to hold back the tears that I felt was on it's way. He asked once again if I was OK and then he said "I really didn't see you, I was looking in the other direction for cars". I cycled off with a crooked handlebar and with my legs trembling.

I got away with a few scratches and bruises but with a well learned lesson, it's better to be extra careful and accept the fact that it might take a few minutes longer to get home from work than end up bloody or dead in the hospital. And despite H:s protests this morning I cycled to and from work today, very careful and a bit scared but with a new calm in my body. Lesson learned...


Hugging them a bit harder and longer than usual...


2 comments:

  1. i had a similar experience years ago so i fully understand what you felt. life is so fragile but i am glad you got up on that bike again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anna. It's sad I need to experience bad things to realize how great life is...

    ReplyDelete