Monday 26 September 2011

Canada - friendly, sincere and open

One of the many differences between Sweden and Canada is that the people here are so open and friendly. I'm not saying that Swedish people are hostile and unkind, but they are more private and harder to get close to. I often feel a bit lonely here. Mostly because I live in a new area, I don't have any friends here and with my 2 kids it's not that easy just taking a pottery class and get to know some new friends! But when I feel down it always helps to go out. To the park or the mall. I always end up chatting 10-15 minutes (sometimes an hour!) away with a stranger. And it doesn't feel artificially, it feels sincere. Maybe it helps that I always have 2 kids hanging on me...

Another nice thing is that people, young as old, are really polite. People say ma'm and madame here. And I like it! At the store they pack your groceries for you! And when you're shopping for clothes or other items they always ask if you need help and they're more than willing to help you! In Sweden I often get the impression, when a salesman/woman ask if you need help, that they ask it because they're obligated to, not because they really want to help you.

The service at restaurants is also another story here. You get help very fast, the waiter is always a blink of an eye away. I don't know how many times I've been waiting to get a waiters attention in Sweden and that is very rare here.

So, go Canada! Keep on being friendly and sincere, it rocks!

1 comment:

  1. Kan bara hålla med! Gillar framförallt servicen på restauranger, så himla snabbt, smidigt och trevligt. Väldigt sällan man råkar ut för snorkiga servitriser eller servitörer här.
    I klädbutikerna kan jag dock bli irriterad när de nästan hänger efter en och frågar om man vill ha hjälp. Det är så sällan jag faktiskt vill ha det - utan kollar runt bara. Men visst är det skönt att det faktiskt finns personal att fråga om det är nåt man undrar. Irriterande är dock de låsta provhytterna där man ibland får stå och vänta på att få gå in och prova.
    Och jag tycker fortfarande det känns lite lyxigt när någon annan packar ner mina mat när jag handlat =)
    Lena B

    ReplyDelete